Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year's - Intermission

Sergeant Alistair's Log, 1-5-2012, 18:29
The badgers are at the very gates even now. All the outposts have fallen to their savage claws. I fear the Captain has gone mad. I privately begged him last night to update his blog to avert the slaughter of our men, but with a savage grin he replied “Let them come.”



This will be my last blog update for a little while (though it will be a double post)- I'm back at school now preparing for when the students return to classes on the 10th. I have also been putting the finishing touches on the New Year's cards I was making. In Japan, New Year's cards are about as popular as Christmas/New Year's cards in America combined. Most Japanese buy fancy post-cards for the occasion, but based on the number of Dragon themed stamps and stickers at the stationary store, others choose to make their own. I was in the latter camp; being a dragon enthusiast I needed an excuse to buy themed crafts supplies. In the end I made about 28 cards and mailed them off/passed them around at school. 
 

(Here's the stamp I used. It was difficult choosing one out of the 15 different designs!)

(A few of the finished cards. The Japanese translates roughly to “Congratulations on the opening of a New Year. Please tolerate me again this year.”)



It snowed most of yesterday and last night, and while its just slightly too warm for it to stick on the ground I got this picture this morning right before the sun came up.




Also, as a quick culinary update, I tried cooking and eating tofu for the first time last night. As I mentioned on facebook it was a lot like trying to pan fry jello. I'm afraid the Mabodofu I made didn't really turn out, but my life is richer for the experience. ^^;




-Andrew

2 comments:

  1. RE: the tofu. If you like spicy stuff, you can stir-fry tofu with kimchi. It takes like two seconds and suddenly you have a meal-looking thing.

    RE: new years. Happy new year!! :) :) Keep blogging please!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, generally my approach to tofu is to heat oil really really hot, then leave the tofu in it for like 15 minutes (which is really long to leave something in boiling oil) and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete